Sunday, February 21, 2010

Money Saving Tips for College Students

If you are serious about saving money, spend one month saving all your receipts. No matter if it a trip through the drive thru for a quick lunch or a pack of gum at the gas station. Make a list of all your expenses and see where you spend most of your money. Keep track of your finances. I took my time doing this considering it seemed like my money went a lot faster than it should have. I didn't realize how much money I spent on extra activities.

TEN TIPS TO HELP SAVE!!



1. Save ALL your change. Every penny counts. I have a big water junk in the corner of my room where I collect all my spare change. Once the jug seems like its full I either roll it up and take it to my bank, or take it to the local "coinstar." Although the coinstar is convenient, it does take a few cent from every dollar so it is better to roll them and save!!

2. One big issue I have is the amount of money I spend on gas. Carpool if you live off campus. I live about 25 miles away from my college. A friend I went to high school with also attends tech. On Mondays and Wednesdays we have the same time schedule so we trade every week to drive. It may not seem like much, but it saves a lot of gas and miles on your vehicle.

3. USE COUPONS!! You can save a lot on your weekly grocery trip by using coupons. Look in the newspaper and also online for some really good coupon savers.

4. Buy USED books. Hit up the bookstore before all the other students raid the place. Used books are at least $30 cheaper.

5. Also, sell your books back!! You won't get the same amount of money back but you will get some back hopefully.


6. Pay all your bills on time. Avoid late fees, they add up.

7. If you're renting a place, find places that have utilities including. Also use electricity wisely. Keep lights off when not needed. 

8. If your like me, and your addicted to shopping...run straight toward the sale racks. It is easy for me to find a top for $4 and a pair of jeans for $20. Also, try Platos Closet...that place has become my best friend! They buy new and used clothing that is in style. Once your tired of your clothes take them there and earn some cash on the spot. While your there its possible to find a few new items you'd like to purchase.

9. If you are going out to eat, avoid buying alcoholic beverages. Drink water. Even a soda cost $3.00 at a restaurant. That's money you can be using towards something else. 

10. For entertainment, try to do things cheap. For example, if you're going to a movie, try going to the matinee showing. Do things where with a student id you can get discounted.



These are just a few tips I use to save some cash! Hope you can benefit from them!!



-Megan

1 comment:

  1. I think this was great. Good job Megan!

    ReplyDelete